Saturday, November 3, 2012

Property Tax Update

After I had posted my previous blog and my husband had read it, he came home and asked me a few questions about it. After some thought, I decided I needed to clarify a few things.

First off, I do realize that this is likely a borderline extreme view.

Secondly, my 'newly formed' opinion is not a super solid one, as this was the first time I'd brainstormed about the idea of property tax. I would not at all be offended if after the general population had put thought into it, decided that property tax was still justified for the purposes of firefighting, police, trash, water, snow removal, road maintenance, etc.

I also realize that there are very likely some technical issues on how this could or would be executed. I have, what I consider, an elementary understanding of politics, and therefore, I am more so in the stage of learning how it all works, and discovering my personal values as far as politics go.

This post was really meant more for bringing up topics that perhaps are not usually considered, and trying to stretch myself and my readers to do some critical thinking about how perhaps their 'ideal' government would work. I feel that if the wider American population put more thought into the basic principles and values of what government's role is, we would have a more diverse selection of candidates that had a fighting chance in each office.

I also think that the republican-democrat power struggle would be less of an issue if every American was researching all candidates of all affiliations, rather than voting for the guy that's most likely going to win the incumbent... or voting exclusively for one party. I feel that there are a far greater diversity of values, opinions, and morals than could possibly be represented by Republicans vs. Democrats. I would like the American people to discover their base values and then vote more on an individual basis rather than along party lines - which rarely does anyone 100% align with.

No comments: